Additional Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Lessons Learned

One of the great things about teaching is that the teacher learns right along with the students.  I have now completed thee of the four scheduled beginner crochet classes. I have six true beginners.  I want to share with you several things that I discovered to help  my beginner crocheters.

  • Beginners tend to crochet "tight" so have students use a size or two bigger hook to make their starting chain.
  • Beginners can have a problem finding the first and the last single crochet stitch in a row. Use a safety pin, or a length of yarn (contrasting color) or a commercial stitch marker to mark the beginning and ending single crochet stitches, moving the marker up on each row.  This was a big help to my beginner students.
  • Encourage beginners to "count" their stitches often making sure they are working even and not increasing or decreasing accidentally.
I'm sure I will learn more as I continue to lead these students, and I'll share what I learn with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment